A journal to record my notes and ideas related to software development and computing

Friday, October 24, 2008

Proxy instantiation problem from Hibernate Session load

This one had me puzzled for a while yesterday. I was able to retrieve objects from a Session via a query, but I was getting the following error when I was using the load method:

org.hibernate.HibernateException: Javassist Enhancement failed: Thing
at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistLazyInitializer.getProxy(JavassistLazyInitializer.java:142)
at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistProxyFactory.getProxy(JavassistProxyFactory.java:72)
at org.hibernate.tuple.entity.AbstractEntityTuplizer.createProxy(AbstractEntityTuplizer.java:402)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.createProxy(AbstractEntityPersister.java:3483)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.createProxyIfNecessary(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:298)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.proxyOrLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:219)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.onLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:126)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.fireLoad(SessionImpl.java:905)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.load(SessionImpl.java:822)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.load(SessionImpl.java:815)
...
Caused by: java.lang.InstantiationException: Thing_$$_javassist_0
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:335)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistLazyInitializer.getProxy(JavassistLazyInitializer.java:139)
... 49 more

When I changed the code from

session.load(classOf[Thing], id).asInstanceOf[Thing]
to

session.createQuery("from Thing where id = " + id).list().asInstanceOf[java.util.List[Thing]].toList(1)
everything worked as expected.

I found a few results from the web, but nothing to indicate what my specific problem was.

The code I was working on was loosely based on another Scala project, which uses an older version of Hibernate. I changed the libraries over, and got a similar problem with CGLIB:

org.hibernate.HibernateException: CGLIB Enhancement failed: Thing
at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.cglib.CGLIBLazyInitializer.getProxy(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:96)
at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.cglib.CGLIBProxyFactory.getProxy(CGLIBProxyFactory.java:49)
at org.hibernate.tuple.entity.AbstractEntityTuplizer.createProxy(AbstractEntityTuplizer.java:379)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.createProxy(AbstractEntityPersister.java:3455)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.createProxyIfNecessary(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:257)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.proxyOrLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:191)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.onLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:103)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.fireLoad(SessionImpl.java:878)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.load(SessionImpl.java:795)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.load(SessionImpl.java:788)
...
Caused by: java.lang.InstantiationException: Thing$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$e29dbda1
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:335)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.cglib.CGLIBLazyInitializer.getProxyInstance(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:107)
at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.cglib.CGLIBLazyInitializer.getProxy(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:93)
... 49 more

This time I was luckier with my search results, which eventually lead me to these two pages. Indeed, the problem was due to having a private no-args constructor in my Thing object. As soon as I changed the constructor to be visable, the calls to load() started working as expected.

I was thrown a bit by the InstantiationException, which according to the JavaDoc is

Thrown when an application tries to create an instance of a class using the newInstance method in class Class, but the specified class object cannot be instantiated because it is an interface or is an abstract class.

While I can see that it's related, I don't really think the private constructor issue strictly falls under that description. In any case, I'm sure that a better message, or a different exception, or an update to the documentation, would have helped me isolate the problem a lot quicker.

Oddly, the code from the other project also has a private no-args constructor, yet it seems to work. That part remains a mystery to me, but I thought I'd post my other findings in case it helps anyone else who runs into a similar issue.

4 comments:

phpmyid.com said...

thanks! it really helped me. now i made my constructor "protected"

cite from the hibernate documentation:
"The no-argument constructor is a requirement for all persistent classes; Hibernate has to create objects for you, using Java Reflection. The constructor can be private, however, package visibility is required for runtime proxy generation and efficient data retrieval without bytecode instrumentation."

Richard said...

Thanks. This one left me clueless, though I remember running into it months ago.

Francois said...

Gimme five, nice tip!
Thanks for this one ;)

Jim Barritt said...

Hi 5. Sorted me straight out.

About Me

Computer programmer with and interest in music, and a passion for brewing beer, which I'm working at developing into a career!